Today’s DIY is super easy but I love it. We’re going to make a diary lock out of some pretty basic materials that you can find almost anywhere, literally. If you’re a big fan of notebooks and journals like me, you’d probably want your things to be personal and secure. This DIY will help keep out all those curious eyes from lurking in places they shouldn’t be! I hope you like it. 😀
I have recently fallen in love with writing and I just like to keep a record of the things that happen in my life and the things I want to do. I was browsing the internet, searching for easy ways to make diary locks as I didn’t have one, and they were all so difficult and confusing! So I decided to invent my own..
What you will need:
- A notebook or journal (I covered mine in fabric)
- A hole punch
- Short Strip of Ribbon (You could sub this for wire to make it more secure!)
- A piece of tape
- Diary lock
1. Punch a hole close to the edge of the notebook, halfway down. (Take a look at where I did mine). Do this on the front and the back cover of the book.
2. Go over to the BACK cover and thread your ribbon through the hole, making both ends meet.
3. Tie a knot and cut off any excess ribbon.
4. Twist the ribbon around so that the knot is closest to the hole. Tape it down.
5. Flip back to the Front cover and bring the ribbon over.
6. To lock your notebook, thread the ribbon into the hole from inside the cover and out the front. Slide your lock into the loop you have created and… yay, you’ve made a diary lock!
Note: Make sure you keep your key somewhere secure so that only you can find it! Some places to hide it can include: inside an empty chap stick, a jewellery box, pencil tin or your wallet.
I hope you found this tutorial easy and enjoyable! Ask me if you have any questions… Have a beautiful day! xx