Lately I’ve fallen in love with some beautiful wooden bead necklaces I’ve seen on Pinterest and Instagram! They’re so simple yet elegant and pretty at the same time. I love how they come in all different shapes and colours, especially pastels tones. Today I made my very own necklace using clay to make my beads and I’m really proud of how they turned out! This DIY is super customisable as you can mix and match with your own colours and shapes. The clay recipe is so easy and you probably already have all the materials in your home! I’ll definitely be making more in the future.
Before you begin, keep in mind, the clay will take a couple of days to dry! Also this recipe only makes 3 small beads – to make more, simply use the ratio of the materials used.
Okay let’s begin with the making of the clay:
What you’ll need:
– 1 and 1/2 teaspoons PVA or craft glue
– 2 teaspoons cornstarch
– 1/3 teaspoon Vaseline
– 1/2 teaspoon oil
You will also need:
– Small bowl
– Small nail or pin
1. Mix the glue, cornstarch, vaseline and oil in a small bowl.
2. Pour the water into the saucepan and simmer for a few minutes.
3. Place the small bowl into the water in the saucepan and stir for 2 minutes or until the mixture sticks to the spoon. Keep the heat on low.
4. Take the bowl off the heat (it’s very hot!) and let it cool down for a bit. When it’s cool enough for you to touch, use your fingers to shape the clay into little balls (or whatever shape you like). If it sticks to your fingers too much, it helps to put a little bit of flour on your hands.
5. When you have 3 little balls, coat them with more corn starch so they don’t stick everywhere.
6. Then, leave them somewhere safe for over 12 hours.
7. After the 12 hours, the clay should be somewhat harder but not completely dry. Grab a nail/pin and carefully poke a hole in each bead. Leave them to dry for another 2 days, or until you think they’re hard enough.
Now it’s time to make the necklace!
What you’ll need:
– Wax linen string
– Coloured Nail Polish or Acrylic Paint
– 3 washi tapes
– 3 Bobbi pins
8. Paint the bead using nail polish or acrylic paint! To make it easier to hold, slide the bead onto an old bobbi pin. Do a couple of coats, and you also might like to paint a top coat with clear nail polish.
9. When you’re done, rest the bobbi pins onto the washi tape as shown in the pictures. This keeps it from getting ruined!
10. When they’re all completely dry, thread them onto the wax linen string and tie a knot.
11. Now you’ve made your very own clay bead necklace! (Wooooo!)
Anyway I hope you liked this week’s DIY and don’t forget to come back next time for another FrIDIY!
Take care xx